Fredericksburg Burial Grounds Interactive Map
The city of Fredericksburg, Virginia is centrally located between Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Virginia and was officially established in 1728. Today, many people recognize that Fredericksburg is full of history, but most of them do not realize that most of the history lessons that are available for them to learn lies below their feet. In fact, many people do not realize this because many of the cemeteries in Fredericksburg have been forgotten, moved, and built on. Today, now more than ever, the residents and visitors of Fredericksburg need to recognize the importance of the graves and burial grounds because many of the gravestones are sinking and becoming cracked and are nearly illegible.
The first documented memorialization of a death in Fredericksburg was in 1749. It was the death of Francis Thornton, and it established The Thornton/Forbes/Washington Family Cemetery. Today, this small family graveyard is located on Hunter Street off of Princess Anne Street. This cemetery is important to the history of the burial grounds of Fredericksburg because it the final resting place of some of the earliest settlers of this area and is one of the first official burial grounds in Fredericksburg. Due to the private nature of this cemetery, it resulted in the formation of cemeteries throughout the city.
Due to the fact that there are over fifteen cemeteries in Fredericksburg, this virtual exhibition is only going to highlight four of the main cemeteries located within the downtown historic district of the city. These cemeteries include Shiloh Cemetery, located on the corner of Littlepage Street and Monument Street, the Fredericksburg City Cemetery located off of William Street, the Masonic Cemetery on Charles Street, and the Churchyard of St. George’s Church, located on Princess Anne Street. To access information about these cemeteries, click the pins on the interactive map below.
This map is the Plan of Fredericksburg created in October of 1890 and was selected for this exhibition because it was made around the time of the gravestones featured in “The Gravestone Gallery.”